Prostate Cancer

PSA Velocity of .75

06/10/2008

Question:

I have a PSA and DRE every year to ensure my prostate is well. In 2006 my PSA was 1.93 and in 2007 it was 1.50. Now just this month 5/08 I had a PSA test. The reading has gone to 2.37 a rise of .85. Is this cause for concern? I have been having slight pain in the left and right pelvic area for over 3 months and occasional stinging in uretha area near the bladder.

My doctor has put me on Norfloxacin which I am hesitant to take due to the potential serious side effects. He has me rescheduled for a PSA profile in 10 days. However, I have heard that a PSA Velocity of over .75 would require a biopsy. I am 59 years old. Can you provide information on this? Thank you

Answer:

PSA velocity > 0.75 ng/ml rise over one year is cause for concern. But your urologist is correct to verify the increase since there is some variation in PSA value from day to day or week to week. The prescription for antibiotic is to empirically treat prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate tissues) which is one explanation for increase in PSA value. If the PSA has indeed increased, then biopsy is warranted.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology