Urinary Disorders

Gastrointestinal and urinary problems

06/05/2008

Question:

Several weeks ago, I had a flare-up of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My gastro doctor did blood work. When it came back, it showed high platelet count, high alkaline phsophatase. RBC was low as was hemoglobin and hematacrit.

I returned last week for Urinalysis. It revealed RBC`s in urine and calcium oxalate crystals with mucus threads. Bacteria showed trace. I am being shipped off to a urologist next week.

I have low back pain and hip pain. I didn`t pay much attention to this since I had low back fusion two months ago. My physical therapist shows concern about the hip pain.

A few weeks ago, late at night I would have a burning sensation and the need to urinate. It hurt like crazy when I urinated. This went on for a week. The only way to stop it was to take my sleep medications early and go to bed. If I got up during the night to go to the bathroom, I don`t remember. Now when I urinate in the morning for the first time, it is dark in colork, and when the flow starts, it feels like a "blob" comes first and then the urine. What do you think all of this indicates? I have never seen a urologist before and see one next week. My primary doctor did a sed rate on Wednesday and results are not back yet. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Answer:

I am not certain what this represents. When there is blood in the urine, it is important to see a urologist. A stone may be the cause of the symptoms that you describe. However, infection can also present this way and more serious causes for blood in the urine need to also be excluded.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology