Colorectal Diseases

Rectal bleeding

06/02/2008

Question:

I am 22 years old. Last night i noticed bright, red blood on the tissue after wiping. at first it was a very small amount, and as i kept wiping the amount got bigger. i wipe aggressively. last week i had a sore, "bump" like spot on the side of the opening of my anus, it was so sore that i could barely wipe. but i had no bleeding then. its still a little sore. i also noticed slight lower abdominal and back cramps, but it will be time for my period in 3 days. im just worried to what this could be. ive noticed bright, red blood on the the toilet paper before, but not as much as last night. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Answer:

You most likely had a thrombosed (clotted) external hemorrhoid; these are typically quite painful. If the clot erodes through the overlying skin, the pain will lessen but you will see blood for several days until the wound heals.

If you continue to see blood after 3-5 days, visit your doctor for an exam.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division