Mental Health

Something Effective for Schizophrenia

06/27/2008

Question:

Can you recommend something effective for Schizophrenia? I have twin sons who were diagnoised at age 19 and are now close to 50, one is doing quite well (both have been on several meds) one has spent the last 13 months in a nursing home in Cleveland and is now doing much better, he is going next Tues. June 3rd to interview with a gentlemen on the east side to see if they are compitable. Can you please suggest something I can do to HELP. I am behind him 100%. Thank you. Any suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

The best thing you can do to help is to support your sons, to stay involved with them (as you already are) and to make sure they continue to get treatment. Ongoing treatment is one of the most important elements in successfully treating this difficult disease. Many individuals suffering from schizophrenia frequently interrupt treatment and decompensate - staying on medications and seeing a counselor are essential for their well being.

Good luck with your sons.

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Radu   Saveanu, MD Radu Saveanu, MD