Athletic Training

Hamstring injury

06/04/2008

Question:

Can you please tell me the best prevention for re-injuring a hamstring? I have had a previous hamstring injury and have now found myself with the same inury, though not as bad as the first time. Is it stretching? Does a support wrap help? thank you.

Answer:

It is not uncommon to experience a hamstring injury recurrence with activity either due to inadequate rehabilitation from prior injury or too early return to sporting activity. A good rehabilitation program should include both flexibility exercises and strengthening exercises to control for tightness and weakness that occur as a result of the original injury. Typically a support provides warmth to the area, but doesn't necessarily protect from injury because reinjury either occurs from overstretch to the muscle or too forceful of a contraction in a muscle recovering from strain.

You didn't indicate your age or activity level, but i would recommend a follow up with your local sports medicine professional for evaluation and instruction in appropriate exercise program to protect against future occurrences especially if you a very active.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences