High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure

08/04/2008

Question:

I have server RA and in constant pain. I live with a lot of pain. I am on or tried all the medications for my RA but it still out of control. I also have pulmonary hypertension. On a pain scale I live daily with about 6-7 in pain. Flares are 10+++. I was told that Prednisone is what gave me high blood pressure. I am taking two medication for my blood pressure and it is pretty much controled by them. Could being in constant and a lot of pain cause my blood pressure to rise and stay high?

Answer:

Pain can elevate your blood pressure. The only way to tell if the pain is causing the high blood pressure is to measure it when you are not in pain. Regardless, if your blood pressure is consistently elevated regardless of the cause, it should be treated. Fortunately, you indicate that your blood pressure is controlled on your two blood pressure medications.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Jackson T Wright, MD, PhD, FACP Jackson T Wright, MD, PhD, FACP