Infertility

My uterus is too small

06/17/2008

Question:

I am 23 years old and I have never regularly got my period. When I was about 20 years old, I went to the doctor and she put me on birth control pills. While I was on them, I would get my period, but the moment I got off of them, it stopped. I went back to the doctor and they did an ultrasound and she said that my uterus was the size of a finger nail. Is there anything that can be done to make my uterus bigger? Does this mean that I will not be able to have kids?

Answer:

Your physician may not have meant that your uterus was literally that small.  It does sound as if you have irregular periods and will require fertility treatment in order to conceive.  I would recommend that you see a reproductive endocrinology-infertility specialist for further evaluation. 

However, if you are able to menstruate with oral contraceptives, your uterus is most likely of a "reasonable" size. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD