Braces

Nose wider after braces

06/10/2008

Question:

My nose appears wider when smiling since I`ve gotten almost finished wearing braces. Is it normal for this look when you have had braces for frontal overbite. I specifically asked my doctor would this change in my look happen, and he assured me it would not. Why do doctors not tell an adult before getting braces, how difficult it may be and how it may be more painful. I got braces at age 57.

Answer:

Unless you had a surgical procedure connected with orthodontics, it is highly unlikely you would have an increase in nasal width. Pre-treatment photographs placed side by side and taken at the same focal distance with the post treatment photographs could evaluate this. As far as pain control, it is something to ask your doctor about. Pain threshold varies between patients of all ages. You have legitimate questions that have to be answered on an individual basis by the treating doctor.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry