Sudden Weight Gain

06/10/2008

Question:

I have not changed my diet or exercise regime in any way except that I have started eating a little less since I noticed a weight gain. I am not on medication of any kind. The only unusual thing I have noticed recently is that I had a migraine for the first time in years last weekend. I have now gone from a size 8 to a size 12 in less than three weeks. What on earth is happening to me?

Answer:

It is difficult to imagine exactly what is going on here.  Some questions that occur to me are:

Depending on your answer to the above questions, as well as your age, gender, and underlying medical conditions, your weight gain may be caused by a variety of disorders such as: heart failure, protein leakage from the kidneys, oversecretion of hormones by the adrenal glands, liver problems, or malignancy.  You should see your physician as soon as possible for a thorough history, physical exam, lab tests (including both blood and urine tests), and possibly imaging studies (such as a CAT scan or ultrasound).

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD