Braces

Permanent retainers

06/11/2008

Question:

My daughter has lost her retainers twice so I`m considering a permanent retainer (bottom only) because of the cost ($600). However, I was told she would have to be evaluated first to see if she was a candidate for a permanent retainer. What has to be evaluated? Is a permanent retainer a better option?

Answer:

I am asked this question a lot. First let me say that in the human condition there is no such thing as permanent. What you are referring to is a bonded retainer, usually to the lower teeth on the inside.

Advantage: not easily lost.

Disadvantage: the bonding does not stay forever and may break away from one or more teeth if one is not careful about chewing. Flossing is also more difficult with bonded retainers, but it can and should be done.

Both are acceptable procedures. As an orthodontist, I like the removable retainer because it affords ability to control any changes that may occur, but to be successful, like glasses, you have to wear them.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry