High Blood Pressure

Isolated diastolic in the young

06/24/2008

Question:

I am 45 old. Most time I have blood pressure around 105/75 to 110/80. From time to time, my blood pressure goes up to 120/90 to 125/92 which is accommpanied by light headaches and which usually happens early in the morning (from 3 to 8 AM) or late afternoon. Does this carry any risk and does this need treatment? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Answer:

The current guidelines define normal blood pressure as below 120/80, and hypertension as a blood pressure of 140/90 or greater.

Although there may be a slight increase in risk in people with elevated average systolic and diastolic blood pressure into the range that you describe, that increase would be too small to justify treatment with medication.

Isolated diastolic hypertension (elevation of the lower number, but a normal upper number) is rare and is considered to be benign.

In your case, your average blood pressure is normal and there is no reason for concern.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section