Addiction and Substance Abuse

Harmful to my baby

06/12/2008

Question:

I take 4 methadone a day (10mg) each, total of 40mg a day. I also started taking diet pills, phentermine because I am soooo tired and overweight,gestational diabeties, and high blood pressure, I am 37 years old and the diet pills I only started taking because i was sooo tired at work its either live on the streets and loose my car and my job or work till I have my baby and have somewhere to live and a car. are any of them harmful to my baby?????

Answer:

Diet pills, including phenteramine, are definately not recommended during pregnancy and may be harmful. Methadone can cause drowsiness and lethargy. The best approach to feeling good during pregnancy is to eat healthy meals, sleep 8 hours each night, and get at least 30 minutes of exercise (walking) each day. Good control of diabetes and high blood pressure will help you begin feeling better also.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Debra K Gardner, PhamD Debra K Gardner, PhamD
Former Assistant Clinical Professor of Pharmacy College Business Office
Internal Resource Pool-Allied at OSU Medical Center
Wexner Medical Center