Fibroid uterus

06/17/2008

Question:

my pevlic ultrasound said that my uterus is of 15cm in length and 8x9.5cm transversely. along the left lateral margin of the uterus there is a dominate 5cm round hypoechoic fiborid felt to repersent the recent abnormality on ct. No free fluid is identified. The adnexa are not clearly identified with only transabdominal images preformed.

impression: lobulated fiborid the left superlateral margin of the uterus without free fluid.

MY OUESTION IS. What does this mean? Is 5cm abnormal? What is free fluid? What is adnexa?

THANK YOU , I really just need to know what this all means in simple words and just how serious it is.

Answer:

Fibroids are benign tumors, and they are solid. They can be located inside the uterus, within the wall of the uterus or, like yours, outside the uterus. The adnexa are the ovaries and the fallopian tubes. You would not expect any free fluid. Your report says that you have one fibroid. There are a variety of treatments for fibroids, if you are having symptoms. You should discuss these with your doctor.

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Associate Professor Emeritus