Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Impotent due to bladder cancer surgery

06/23/2008

Question:

I am a quadriplegic. I was paralyzed in 1975, but retained sensation and could get and maintain an erection although ejaculation was seldom achieved. In 1990, I suffered bladder cancer. Both my bladder and prostate were removed, leaving me impotent. I am now in a relationship with a woman I plan to marry. Will a drug such as Viagra, Uprima, etc. work for me? If so, is there a danger of dysreflexia occurring? Would the transurethal (muse) work for me? If these aren`t options, would a penis pump give me an erection and a constriction ring maintain it?

Answer:

Unfortunately, your condition is more involved. You not only have neurological, but also arterial problems with your genital organ. A vacuum device may or may not work to your satisfaction. You might be better served by insertion of inflatable prosthesis.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery