Root Canals

Pain after root canal

I had a root canal on the lower left molar 2 months ago. Two weeks ago I started experiencing pain in the tooth, in particular when chewing, though it does have pain and throb sometimes when not chewing; that pain can be signficant. If I press on the tooth it hurts. Motrin controls the non-chewing/throbbing very well, but I can`t chew on it.

I called the endondontist and he said it sounded like the bite was too high, and to call the general dentist. He lowered the bite, and I thought I might have had some temporary relief, but it soon got bad again. I saw my general dentist yesterday for routine cleaning; he said the x-ray looked fine, and to try and live with it for a while to see if it calmed down, as there weren`t very good options if it didn`t. Any thoughts as to what this might be, and suggested actions. I believe I can "wait it out" with Motrin if it is likely to calm down.

Thank you.

It is hard to arrive at any conclusions from such limited information. The root canal was completed 2 months ago, but when did you have the crown placed? There are many possible causes of the discomfort (crack, new crown, etc.) and I can not speculate as to the cause. If you called the endodontist, had an adjustment by the dentist, and you are still having discomfort, I would recommend returning to the endodontist for a reevaluation.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics