Kidney leison found on MRI

06/23/2008

Question:

My husband had an MRI for a back problem and the last comment in the report was:

13. There is a moderate sized benign appearing cyst in the posterior aspect of the right kidney. Small high signal lesion seen in the left kidney. These may be further evaluated sonographically.

I have of course forwarded this report to his Internal medicine doctor. I am curious about several things while we wait for an appoitment. I am not in a panic but always like to get information so I can ask questions. What does high signal mean?

For the right kidney it mentioned benign. For the left it did not. Could this be something to be conderned about?

What test if any should I expect our DR to recommed?

Your opinon and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer:

It is not clear from your question whether the MRI was contrast-enhanced or not. It also does not mention the size of lesion on Left kidney, whether it is cystic, or mass or stone or a scar. This information is important to make any further comments. Clearly the cyst in right kidney is benign and usually does not need any follow up. Your physician can discuss these aspects of MRI report with radiologist to make further comments. I hope this was useful. Thanks.

Ganesh  Shidham, MD Ganesh Shidham, MD
Associate Professor of Nephrology