Daily sensation of numbness on upper lip/nose

06/17/2008

Question:

A year ago, a dentist diagnosed an abscess above the root of my upper left canine. She said the tooth`s nerve had died on its own, applied a medicine for the abscess, filled the root canal and put a temporary filling. I had a problem with infection under the temporary filling, the dentist was unavilable for the emergency; a different dentist did the filling. 3 months ago I noticed a sensation of numbness on my upper lip corresponding with that root area (no pain), at first lasting minutes, 5-10 times a-day; a week later it became a constant and stronger sensation with no pain; another week later it spread to left nostril. 2 weeks ago, the sensation of numbness disappeared. Now it`s back; the lip and entire nose feel numb (feels like the numbness after a dental anestesia` shot, however unlike the numbness from the shot, I can feel my finger touching my lip and nose). My new dentist suggested that numbness can be caused by a facial nerve, or even neck problems. What would you recommend, go to a dentist or MD?

Answer:

I would recommend you see an endodontist (Root Canal Specialist) and be sure that the part of the tooth in your mouth is totally sealed up.

David Lee Hall, DDS David Lee Hall, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care