Urinary Disorders

Prostate Reduction Procedure

06/26/2008

Question:

I just had a procedure to reduce the size of my enlarged prostate. I was kept overnight and sent home the next day without a catheter. I cannot move urine and the doctor scheduled another procedure to correct the problem. The problem still exists and I am stuck with a catheter until the problem is resolved. The doctor says he may have to send me to a doctor who can install something like they do for heart patients, in my abdomin to stimulate the bladder. I would appreciate any commemts you may have. Thank You

Answer:

It sounds as though you may have had an underlying problem with your bladder not emptying. In men with urinary retention, sometimes it is due to a blockage, such as an enlarged prostate and sometimes it is due to a bladder problem. It sounds as though you may need to have urodynamic studies of your bladder to determine the function of your bladder. There are specialists in this area that you could obtain an opinion from.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology