Painless, small lump inside cheek

06/26/2008

Question:

I have a small painless lump on the inside of my cheek. my dentist said it most likely is a blocked salivary duct...and said it felt like i had a few others on the inside of my mouth as well (inside my lips, etc). He didn`t seem concerned - my question - is this normal? i`ve had this one small lump on the inside of my cheek for about a month - does it just go away on its own? Do i need to worry about oral cancer? (i don`t smoke). i appreciate any thoughts! thank you...

Answer:

It is very possible that the bump on the inside of your cheek could be a blocked saliva gland. You have many minor salivary glands in your mouth, and it is not unusual for some of them to get clogged up. There are also many benign lesions that can develop in your mouth in some areas of the cheeks. They are not precancerous. Some of these lesions go away on there own and some do not.

Your dentist has been trained to determine if a lesion has a potential to become cancerous. Your’s has felt that this lump is nothing to worry about. Continue to monitor it. Especially monitor it’s color and size. If it continues to grow and/or changes color, it can easily be removed and biopsied to determine what it is. If it does not get larger or change color, it is very likely to be one of these benign lesions that have no potential for harm.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry