Spine and Back Health

Are these symptoms of cord compression T7

07/15/2008

Question:

I had an MRI done with results showing a mild anterior bulge at C5. It also showed a disk protrusion at T7 with cord compression where there is like a curve, but it said no nerve impingement also showed degenerative disk disease. I don`t quite get this no nerve impingement because the reason I went in was because I had clusters of tingling in the middle of my back with a slight numb feeling that the doctor said was called parastesia.

Severe pain in the mid back and on the top right side of my back, the muscle would spasm. Not sure if that is even related to this since the T7 is below that area of spasm. Since then I have had times where my right leg mainly becomes very heavy and has been difficult to lift, as well as times where it will stay in a bent postion and I can`t straighten it out for a few minutes. I have also had lower back pain as well.

In the past 2 weeks I have been having excruciating pain that I believe to be in my diaphragm. It almost feels like it is being sucked inward. It is most of the time very tight feeling. I am not an anxious-type person and am hardly sick, this is the first problem I have had in over 16 years. Can you tell me if the diaphragm, leg trouble, and lower back pain I am having can be from any of this? What would be my next step in treating this? Thanks so much in advance for your time and help with this.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health, but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery