Gynecology

D&C hysteroscopy/novasure endometrial ablatio

07/07/2008

Question:

I am schedule to have novasure endometrial ablation. My surgical papers say D & C Hystuscopy novasure endometrial ablasion. Are these two things the same? Can they both be done at the same time? I am confused

Answer:

Endometrial ablation is a procedure in which the lining of the uterine cavity (endometrium) is burned or destroyed to reduce the amount of bleeding that occurs with menstruation.  Novasure is the brand name for one such procedure that uses an electrical current to burn (or ablate) this tissue.

Most surgeons will perform a hysteroscopy at the same time in order to see the inside of the uterus and make sure that it is ablated properly.  This involves putting a small tube through which the surgeon looks through the cervix and into the uterus. A D&C, or dilation and curettage, involves scraping some tissue away from the uterine lining to rule out other causes of heavy bleeding such as polyps or cancer.  This is often done before the ablation. 

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology