Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Crooked baby teeth

I have an 18 month old son who`s top teeth next to his very front ones have come in slightly crooked. I have yet to take him to a dentist to check his dental health but plan on doing that very soon. I am wondering if crooked baby teeth necessarily mean that those permanant teeth will grow in crooked behind them. Also, he has used a pacifier since he was a newborn. I decreased the use of it when he was a little less than 1 to only using it at nap time and night time. In the past week, I have decreased the pacifier use even more to only using it at night. He didn`t begin to get his top teeth until he was around 13 or 14 months old. I don`t think it`s very likely, but I can`t help but wonder if the pacifier use could be what caused these baby teeth to grow in crooked?

It is too early to predict whether your son's permanent teeth will be crowded when they erupt. Sometimes the use of a pacifier can move teeth, but it depends on the intensity, duration and frequency of the pacifier use. It is a good idea to have the pacifier discontinued by the time he reaches age 3. This is also an excellent time for him to see a dentist for a comprehensive examination.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry