Cancer

Lupron Injection Side Effects

07/03/2008

Question:

I was injected with Lupron to reduce the size of my prostate prior to having radiation implants. I`m having hot flashes, night sweats, and a lowered sex drive. The injection was administered in early April; the plan is to implant the radiation "seeds" in mid August. How long can I expect to have the side effects from the Lupron injection? Also, do you advise that I avoid contact with small children and pregnant women for some weeks or months after the implanting? I`ve gotten mixed advice about that. Thanks.

Answer:

The hormone shot usually lasts for 3 months but it depends on which one you received. There are one month and 4 month injections. Regarding being around little children after the seeds are placed, they should not sit directly on your lap for several weeks after the treatment, but the exact time period, you should discuss with your radiation oncologist.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology