Menopause

Severe PMS, perimenopausal, bipolar

07/07/2008

Question:

I am 53 and my PMS has been getting worse. I have very few symptoms of being perimenopausal. I had such severe periods I needed an iron infusion. Now my periods are getting lighter and shorter but the PMS is getting worse. I am on 8 medications for depresion, BP and anxiety. My doctor wants me to use estrogen patches just during my PMS. I don`t want anymore drugs. I don`t do well on the pill so I don`t think I would do well with the estrogen patch. My thyroid is fine. I think the way I feel with PMS borders on dangerous but I am so reluctant to add any medication. My doctor is very concerned and frustrated that I won`t try estrogen. Any ideas?

Answer:

A totally different approach would be to put yourself in a medical menopause to see if elimination of the hormone fluctuations would help your PMS symptoms.  A monthly injection of a GnRH agonist can be used for 6 months, and hopefully by then you would be in your own natural menopause.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology