Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Post voiding itching & pain in 3 yr old girl

For about 1 to 2 months now (late April prior to swim season), my 3 year old daughter has been complaining about itching/pain immediately post-voiding. UTI is negative. Physical exam shows very mild redness around the urethra if anything. Course of antibiotics tried and no relief. Topical neosporin tried for more than a week and no relief. Nystatin cream tried for 2 weeks and no relief. She was treated for pinworm (they are grasping at straws now) and no relief. She had an ultrasound and an exam from a pediatric urologist, which have all come back normal. Pain and itching only happens post voiding.

Any thoughts on what the cause may be?

If there is significant redness around the vaginal area where she voids, I would make several suggestions:

1) avoid baths

2) avoid soap around the genital area

3) void regularly; do not hold it too long

4) try applying Bagbalm to the inflamed area; this product is available in a few pharmacies; it is used as a topical agent for inflammation of cow's udders, but often is effective for this problem.

5) avoid rubbing the inflamed area--it only makes it worse.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology