Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Post voiding itching & pain in 3 yr old girl

07/07/2008

Question:

For about 1 to 2 months now (late April prior to swim season), my 3 year old daughter has been complaining about itching/pain immediately post-voiding. UTI is negative. Physical exam shows very mild redness around the urethra if anything. Course of antibiotics tried and no relief. Topical neosporin tried for more than a week and no relief. Nystatin cream tried for 2 weeks and no relief. She was treated for pinworm (they are grasping at straws now) and no relief. She had an ultrasound and an exam from a pediatric urologist, which have all come back normal. Pain and itching only happens post voiding.

Any thoughts on what the cause may be?

Answer:

If there is significant redness around the vaginal area where she voids, I would make several suggestions:

1) avoid baths

2) avoid soap around the genital area

3) void regularly; do not hold it too long

4) try applying Bagbalm to the inflamed area; this product is available in a few pharmacies; it is used as a topical agent for inflammation of cow's udders, but often is effective for this problem.

5) avoid rubbing the inflamed area--it only makes it worse.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology