Colon Cancer

Good diet suggestions...

07/14/2008

Question:

Thanks for the information provided. I became aware of the results of my recent colonoscopy today. I understand the tubular adenoma is only a pre cancer lesion and is not cancer. I also will follow up with another colonoscopy in 1 year. What I am interested in are good diet suggestions in order to maintain a healthy colon. Would a colon-cleanse supplement be beneficial? I am quite concerned because I have a history of breast cancer 9 years ago. Anything I can do to improve my situation on a daily basis is what I need to know. Again, thank you.

Answer:

Thanks for your question. There has never been any research on "colon cleanse supplements", so I would avoid those.

Here are some tips to help you prevent colon cancer:

1. Cut back on red meat. Individuals who consume more red meat have a higher incidence of colon cancer. Limit yourself to 2-3 servings of lean red meat per week. Marinate meat in lemon juice, vinegar or other acidic sauce to reduce production of cancer-causing chemicals when the meat is cooked.

2. Limit processed meats such as hot dogs, brats, metts, sausage, bacon and lunch meat. Consumption of these foods increases colon cancer risk.

3. Eat plenty of fiber by consuming more fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains. Choose at least 3-4 servings of fruit/day and 3-5 servings of vegetables per day. Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and asparagus are all loaded with fiber and antioxidants. Berries, citrus fruits, apples, pears and cherries are also high in cancer-fighting chemicals. Eat more bran, oats, whole wheat bread, brown rice and whole wheat pasta to increase fiber in your diet.

4. Lose weight if you are overweight. Colon cancer (as well as other cancers) is more likely to strike individuals that are overweight or obese.

5. Get regular exercise. Exercise helps reduce cancer risk (as well as risk for diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, and other chronic conditions).

Best of luck to you!

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
Adjunct Faculty