Gum Diseases

Why do I have bleeding gums?

07/07/2008

Question:

I am a 38 year male, the problem of bleeding gums has started since 10 years. I have scaling done once and take care of my teeth by brushing every meal but the problem has again started I have bleeding while in sleep, eating fruits and have inflammation on my right upper jaw.

Answer:

Periodontal disease is caused by specific bacteria. Some of us are more susceptible to tissue breakdown, and this is determined by the way that our immune system responds to bacterial challenge. Since it is a bacterial infection to start with, bacteria may come back and the disease may repeat itself. Thus, we recommend routine maintenance appointments, especially for patients who are previously diagnosed with periodontal disease and received treatment. This allows us to detect changes at the soft tissue level before the infection causes bone loss around the teeth. You may need additional treatment involving more than just scaling. I recommend you seeing a periodontist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology