Pain all around my waist area

07/04/2008

Question:

i woke up tuesday morning and was fine than all of sudden when i was walking i got this sharp pain around my waist area and almost went to the floor. since than when i walk or sit i still get sharp pains around my waist area. when i say the waist area i mean all around my waist. i tried to sleep and still got sharp pains. this is 24 hours now and not getting much better. i dont want to go to the doctors unless i have to

Answer:

Your symptom is very perplexing! Normally individuals with colon problems will get pain along the front part of the waist, but not around to the back. Individuals with kidney or spine problems have pain along the waist in the back, but not the front. Sometimes a nerve can get irritated (for example, in shingles), but it normally only involves half the body. The fact that you are having pain completely around your enitre waist is not a typical symptom commonly seen.

So, if you are experiencing that much pain that is interfering with your sleep, it is time to see your physician.

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program