Depression

Identifying Symptoms

07/22/2008

Question:

I often have ideas about me having certain disorders. I diagnose myself with things that I want to have. For example, last year, I thought I could be bulimic, so I made myself be bulimic. Sometimes I thought I was anorexic, and resulted in me not eating for a day or two. Other times I thought I might have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and I couldn't sit still. The biggest one is depression though. I always find reasons for me to be depressed, and I think about them constantly. The weirdest thing is that I want people to know about some of my supposed disorders, but when they slightly accuse me, I deny it. Sometimes I picture myself having fits in front of lots of people were I scream and rip the environment apart. I know this isn't normal, but what is it? Is it some sort of depression?

Answer:

I suggest you find a good psychiatrist or psychologist to do an evaluation of this problem. I doubt it's simply a part of depression, but it's clearly distressing and costly for you. So it deserves a careful assessment.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program