Why am I always hot?

07/04/2008

Question:

I am a 23-year old female, 5`3" and 120 lbs and have not experienced any weight gain or loss. I am constantly hot when no one else is and I break a sweat with minimal effort. When I exert myself (jogging, playing sports) my face turns bright red and I feel like I am going to pass out. I also have increased heart rate and heart palpitations, and feel as if my body is giving off heat. Sometimes I feel as if my skin is prickling, and it gets red and blotchy. When I am in hot or humid temperatures over 80 degrees or so, I start to feel physically ill, my skin will crawl, and I will want to jump out of my skin. This has only begun in the past 6 months or so. I am currently taking paroxotene for anxiety/depression and have been on/off with it for the past 3 years, consistently taking it for the past year. I don`t feel that my symptoms are normal, but I don`t know what could be wrong with me. Please help!

Answer:

I’m so sorry that you are having such a difficult time. It’s really important for you to see your provider right away to be evaluated. I’d specifically ask that the provider test your thyroid, pituitary and ovarian hormones to see if they are functioning normally as what you are describing sounds like a hormonal change. Please don’t let this wait! You don’t need to suffer- this should be something that can be treated!

Hope this helps

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Associate Professor, Nursing Graduate Studies