Braces removal before

My orthodontist wants to remove my 14 year old`s braces after 2 1/2 years. Her left lower 12 year molar is only partially erupted. The orthodontist wants to remove the braces next week, then have my daughter`s wisdom teeth removed and her 12 year molar "exposed." She will then get retainers.

Question #1: Is it normal to remove the braces before the 12 year molar has come in?

Question #2: What is your thought about bonded upper and lover retainers versus removable retainers? I have spoken with other orthodontists that only do bonded retainers on the lower teeth.

Braces are often removed before the 12 year molars erupt.  

Removable retainers are more popular with younger orthodontists and fixed/bonded retainers are more common for older practitioners. They both work so I would not be concerned. It is probably best to go with the retainers your orthodontist recommends since he/she has first-hand knowledge of your particular case.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine