Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Frequent red bloodshot eyes

07/07/2008

Question:

I have red bloodshot eyes 2-3 times a year (I am 49) The 2 eye doctors I visited said it is nothing to worry since it doesn`t hurt and my eyes look fine.

I have always had some allergies to pollen, dust, wool etc. I take Claritin over the counter when I feel itchy. My eyes sometimes itches and I may be rubbing them without realizing. The latest red bloodshot happen in the in the same white area in my left eye. It looks very bad when it happens and it takes about a week to clear.

I also bruise very easily. I used to play volleyball, but I can not do that any longer because my arms get extremely bruised.

I am afraid I may have a bleeding disorder. Please advise.

Answer:

It is hard to say anything specific about your case without being able to interview and examine you, but what you describe regarding your eyes does not sound like a typically coagulation or bleeding problem. The bruising you describe is also difficult to really evaluate with what little information is available.

If the bruising is concerning to you, I would encourage you to speak to your doctor so some basic blood tests could be performed. Then, if needed, your doctor can have you referred to a hematologist in your area.

Find a Hematologist (American Society of Hematology)

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine