Gum Diseases

Thick saliva

07/21/2008

Question:

After periodontal surgery three years ago because of `insufficient crown lenghtening` from 2 crowns that were replaced on my front teeth. I have been experiencing constant slimy thick saliva in my mouth, especially in the area behind my front teeth where gum tissue was removed. When the stitches were removed after surgery, I went back to the doctor and told him I had the slimy feeling and something was constantly draining like mucous in my mouth. He dismissed the idea, saying there was no way anything could be coming down in my mouth. I have resorted to wear a mouthpiece similar to a tray for whitening teeth just so I can deal with this. Since my tongue is constantly `playing` with the area behind my teeth, my teeth have started to shift and separate. This is literally driving me crazy! HELP! I have been to numerous physicians, including ENT, oral surgeon, and others.

Answer:

What about an oral pathology specialist? Are these two front teeth lower or upper front teeth? There is a salivary duct opening very close to the lower front teeth, and with the surgery and restorations, it may be affected. I would recommend you seeing a periodontist and an oral pathology specialist.

It may be as simple as restorative material or the contour of restorations.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology