Digestive Disorders

Upper right side pain still- looking for hope

07/17/2008

Question:

I had my gallbladder removed 1998, fast forward 2008. Having upper right side pain since March 2008. Had an emergency ERCP on 6-13-2008. They removed 2 gallstones. Before they found the stones the following procedures were done, also diagnose with IBS. Colonoscopy came back normal, endoscopy can back normal, all blood work was normal, Ct Scan with contrast came back normal. The night of 6-13-2008 they finally did an ultrasound and found the 2 stones. On 06-30-2008 went to the ER room and they found air pockets in the bile duct still. 07-06-2008 still having pain in the upper right side area, nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue in the area of the ERCP (Endoscopic sphincterotomy). One doctor quit and referred me to a pain clinic and the gastronomist is not listening to me when I explain the symptoms. I have had this issue for 4 months and am looking for any ideas as to where to look to heal me.

Answer:

While it is unusual to have gallstones in the bile duct 10 years after the gall bladder is removed, it does happen. It is not unusual to have air in the bile ducts after a sphincterotomy and it does not cause any problems. While it is very unlikely, it is possible to have additional stones in the bile duct that may not come out despite the sphincterotomy. It is more likely that your symptoms are not related to the liver and bile ducts and another cause of these symptoms needs to be sought.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

D Roy Ferguson, MD D Roy Ferguson, MD