Thyroid Diseases

Anxiety Caused By Hyperthyroidism

My daughter suffers from severe anxiety. She recently had a thyroid test and the level was .33 then six weeks later it was .66. I was told the normal range is .45 to 4.5. So she wouldn`t be treated until the test was out of range consistantly. She is taking BuSpar (7.5 mg bid) and Xanax as needed for anxiety.

My question is: Why can`t they treat her for the overactive thyroid and maybe her anxiety symptoms would go away? What is a good anxiety medicine? She has taken Prozac in the past and it quit working and on lexapro she was zoned out most of the time.

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. This question should be answered by a psychiatrist since the main question is the treatment for anxiety, and thyroid disease is not the reason for this condition.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Marzieh  Salehi, MD Marzieh Salehi, MD
Assistant Professor of Endocrinology