Exercise and Fitness

Is running the cause of my shrinking boobs?

07/10/2008

Question:

I was 14 and 165lbs when I started exercising last August (about 11 months ago). I usually run 2 miles a night and do about an hour of Pilates. I lost about 30 pounds and my boobs. They used to be a D cup, and now I am close to a B. I was just wondering that if I ran 1 mile and did more strength exercises, if they would grow back. And if not, what can I do to get them back without gaining a whole lot of weight.

Answer:

Unfortunately, body fat has a mind of its own. It appears where it wants to, and seems to disappear from all the wrong places. When it comes to losing fat, it often does not go according to plan. Despite many claims of spot reduction (i.e. "lose belly fat first") - it rarely happens this way. The way fat loss occurs is different from person to person. Weight tends to be lost from the most recent place it appeared. For example, if your tummy started gaining first - this will likely be the very last place for the fat to disappear from.

Regardless of the recent weight loss in your chest, you can work on strengthening and toning the chest muscles. One exercise in particular can help strengthen the muscles of the upper body, including the chest muscles. Below, you will find the proper way to perform a push-up exercise.

1. Lie chest-down with your hands at shoulder level, palms flat on the floor and slightly more than shoulder-width apart, your feet together and parallel to each other.
  2. Keep your legs straight and your toes tucked under your feet.
  3. Straighten your arms as you push your body up off the floor. Keep your palms fixed at the same position and keep your body straight. Try not to bend or arch your upper or lower back as you push up.
  4. Exhale as your arms straighten out. Pause for a moment.
  5. Lower your body slowly towards the floor. Bend your arms and keep your palms in fixed position. Keep body straight and feet together.
  6. Lower body towards the floor. Try not to bend your back. Keep your knees off the floor, and inhale as you bend your arms.
  7. Repeat for a total of 8-12 push-ups performed.

Here are a few tips:

It can be very frustrating but everybody is different. Stay committed to your training and nutrition. Understand how your body works, and set achievable goals accordingly.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley