Gum Diseases

White gums?!

07/24/2008

Question:

My gums have been white for afew months. I brush 3x a day, and use mouthwash. Afew people have told me that I may be anemic, but my doctor hasn`t said anything about it. They`re not painful, and haven`t swelled. They look normal, but white. Is something wrong with them? or is it normal?

Answer:

White lesions can be a sign of some important pathology. But they are generally localized and not everywhere and they become symptomatic: burning session, pain, etc. It can be also a sign of hyperkeratinization (too much brushing or the effect of smoking).

Trying new oral products may have side effects too...but again they are generally together with other symptoms such as pain.

Nevertheless, if you are noticing that something is changing, something new that you did not notice before, you should go to a dentist. The ideal person is an oral pathology specialist. They generally practice at hospitals and/or universities.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology