Black line in my eye

07/15/2008

Question:

Starting about a week ago I began seeing a single black line in my left eye. The line seems to stay in the center of my vision and is always there, whether or not I close my eye or not. I`ve gone to our medics and they flushed my eye and found nothing, but the line is still there. Focusing on something usualyl causes my eye to start hurting, like i`ve been straining to see for awhile. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. I recommend scheduling an appointment with your eye doctor for a dilated eye exam. Having your eyes dilated will allow the doctor to examine your retina, the back surface of your eye, as well as the vitreous, which is the jelly-like fluid that fills the back chamber of the eye. This may help determine the cause of the black line in your vision.

Sometimes floaters, which are strands of vitreous clumped together, can cause black lines or dots to appear in your vision. Your doctor will be able to tell you whether this is the cause of your black line or if your symptoms are caused by something else.

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry