Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Blood

07/15/2008

Question:

I had asked yesterday a problem regarding the CO2 content in the blood.The CO2 content in the blood is high in one of my friends and she is being given some medicine of very high price called immunoglobolin I suppose the name is.She is right now in the ventilator in the hospital.Could you tell me what could be the problem of my friend.What is the kind of desease that this medicine is used.

Answer:

I did realize that she was on the ventilator. That is one of the parameters that they will be using to judge the effectiveness of the ventilator and her overall condition.

If they gave her immunoglobulin (or IVIG), it likely doesn’t relate to the CO2 or the ventilator. It is sometimes given to help people with infectious issues if they have an immunoglobulin deficiency, but it is not done commonly. There are some other more specialized reasons that it is given, but infection and an immune-compromised state are the most common.

Hope that helps out.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine