Seborrheic dermatitis

07/30/2008

Question:

i would like to what are all the health reasons some one would get seborrea dermatistis . i have always had scalp itching problems since nearly five years now, but since some months ,i`v been so stress out, and realise that my ears started to itch,inside and out, my eye bras started to get dandruff and itching,also creases around my nose look flaky and in betwwen my eyes as well. what can i use over the county, in the meanwhile until i can afford to get to the dermatologist?. i`m in my mid 30`s been worring about lots of other health issues, could the dermatitis have spread due to my worry? . if treaded will this go away, i hope it donot get worse on my face. what can i do to stop this. i have nerver experience having dandruff in my eye bra before , although i have been having itchy scalp condition for nearly five years now, i;m worried it may get worse,please help!. thanks.

Answer:

There is no cure for seborrheic dermatitis. Medicines such as antifungals, steroids, and anti-inflammatory agents are often used to control the condition. These medicines can be found in various formulations including shampoo, lotion, solution, cream, gel, foam, ointment. Over-the-counter shampoos with selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, pyrithione zinc, coal tar and salicylic acid may be helpful for the scalp. Over-the-counter steroid creams with hydrocortisone may also be helpful for the ears and face, however these have to be used in a limited fashion until you see a doctor.

Often, it can be difficult to tell seborrheic dermatitis from psoriasis and I would recommend you see a physician to get an accurate diagnosis. Psoriasis can be more difficult to treat and may require prescription therapies.

Stress can aggravate both of these conditions, as well as certain medical conditions and medications. A board certified dermatologist is preferable, but you can see any MD initially to get appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD