Why do I experience constant sties in my eyes

07/22/2008

Question:

dear doc, i use to have this sties arround my eyes for the past 18months....it keeps coming and presently in my right eyes,there about three sties and one in my left eye.please i want to know the causes of this recurring incidents of sties and what i will do to treat them.can it be only through surgeries/drainage that they can be removed ?please help me bacause it worries me .

Answer:

A stye is an infected oil gland in the periorbital region. Unfortunately, once one stye develops, that particular oil gland is now susceptible to repeat occurrences. Warm compresses to an already present stye five times a day will help aid resolution. Gentle lid cleaning with a pea-size amount of Johnson's Baby Shampoo applied to a warm damp facial wash cloth will help to prevent further occurrences. With your eyes closed, clean the superior lid area concentrating around the base of your eye lashes. Open your eyes, look up and gently clean the inferior row of eye lashes. Remember you are only cleaning the skin outside the eye ball. Rinse your eyes with warm water and pat dry with a towel. Lid cleaning should be performed twice a day on a consistent basis from now on.

Visit an optometrist; you may need to be placed on an oral antibiotic tapered over the course of several months to help aid further occurrences. Your optometrist will be able to inspect your current styes and help with their resolution.

Best of luck to you.

Melissa M Walters, OD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Optometry