Quad strain with hip pain

08/08/2008

Question:

Initially I believed I pulled my quad/hip flexor however the physio believes it to be related to a nerve and sore lower back. We have massaged out a knot in the hip area and I can pass all the manipulation tests for quad strain. However whilst I can jog without pain, I cannot perform sharp movements or rapidly raise my leg without pain. I got the injury playing soccer, whilst kick the ball.

What could this be? The physio is referring me to a sports doctor but I wouldn`t mind another diagnosis.

Answer:

It is impossible to make a diagnosis over the internet.  The location of your pain and the types of motion that make the pain re-occur on exam are critical to helping determine the source of your pain.  Pain in this area can be caused by a pinched nerve in the back, a hernia, a problem in the hip or knee or even a problem with a bursa sac around the tendons of the hip or knee.  An accurate diagnosis can only be given after the proper exam by a physician. 

Charles Webster, MD