Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook





My question is, can a man take clomid if he has a low sperm count and if they can use it, what does it do for them?


Males with abnormal semen parameters should be evaluated by a urologist who specializes in male infertility.  This evaluation would include a physical examination as well as blood testing.   If no abnormalities are found, some men can be empirically treated with clomiphene citrate (clomid).  However, there is no data that would indicate a definite benefit of such treatment. 

In a couple with male factor, treatment consists of getting the sperm and egg closer together.  There are 2 ways to accomplish this: 

1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - involves injection of your partner's sperm into your uterus at the time of ovulation

2. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - involves stimulating your ovaries with fertility shots to make more eggs, taking those eggs out of the ovary and mixing with your partner's sperm, allowing the eggs to fertilize and grow into embryos, then transferring 2 embryos back into your uterus. 

For more information:

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati