Stress and abnormal menstrual bleeding

08/05/2008

Question:

I read the article about abnormal menstrual bleeding, but my question is related to abnormal bleeding and stress. For the last 3 months, I have started having light spotting and rust-colored discharge 1-2 weeks before my period is actually supposed to start. This started happening at a point in my life where I was under an extreme amount of stress. Can stress cause changes in the menstrual cycle? Or is this a sign of a more serious problem?

Answer:

Stress definitely can cause changes in the menstrual cycle! The bleeding you are describing is called “spotting” and is usually due to some hormonal changes, which can be due to stress. Other than getting rid of the stress, if this continues, it might be a good idea to see your physician to discuss some hormonal treatment for a few months to get you back into a normal cycle.

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program