Infertility

My Intention

08/01/2008

Question:

Hi doctor, my husband and I were married one and half years back but haven't conceived a baby yet. We do not have health problems. Please give us tips to have sex in the right way and/or the appropriate times. What can we do to become pregnant. bye

Answer:

If you are having intercourse 1-2 times per week, this would probably be adequate for exposure to become pregnant. 

Women usually ovulate around 2 weeks before their expected period.  Therefore, if your periods occur every 28 days, you would ovulate around day 14, plus or minus a couple of days.  Therefore, if you were trying to "time" intercourse, you should try every 2 days, from day 11 to day 17.

As you have been attempting conception for quite some time, an evaluation followed by potential treatment, would be recommended.  The evaluation would consist of a dye test to see if the tubes are open, as well as a blood test to see if you are ovulating.  Your husband should have a semen analysis done to evaluate his sperm. 

Potential treatment would include fertility pills or shots, coupled with either intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilization (IVF).  You can see your doctor for initial testing. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD