Braces

Moving front teeth from clenching the mouth

07/28/2008

Question:

Dear Doctor, My 2 front teeth are moving forward, my dentist told me that it is down to clenching my back teeth. When I do sport and get angry I clench my teeth. He told me to fit a brace and wear it for sport or when I sleep. Is it the solution?, if not, what do you suggest?. I thought I had gum disease as my gums are shrinking, hense the teeth moving forward but he told me it isn`t the case. Look forward to hearing from you.

Answer:

What I believe your dentist is talking about is called a mouth guard. It is taken out for cleaning purposes and can be used as needed. The problem with that is that one often does not have the mouth guard present so it is better to wear it full time.

I cannot diagnose your problem because I don't have enough information. This forum on" braces " is for orthodontic problems, not specifically for stress problems in adults.

I, too, would be concerned if my teeth were moving, and the cause will need treatment planning and diagnosis, not just temporary relief. Ask your dentist to refer you to a periodontist to rule out for sure any loss of bone around the teeth. That way your dentist and the periodontist can develop a significant treatment plan.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry