Bleeding during / after sex

07/30/2008

Question:

I experience bleeding (to varying extremes) during sex: sometimes I only know I`m bleeding when they pull out and the lights are on. It`s bright red, and I never have any type of discomfort, and then there is sometimes some slight spotting during the next day or so.

There is nothing uncomfortable about the experience except that it happens every time. My partner and I have been together almost 6 years, and it has been an issue for some time. My PAPs have always been normal the last one was a little over a month ago. I have recently had ultrasounds (pelvic and transvaginal), urine tests and my doctor even put me on a stronger pill to see if that would make a difference. But all the tests have come up clear and I would even say the stronger pill has made it worse! My doctor`s advice is to continue for another month on the stronger pill and see how I go.....but it is driving me mad!

So any advice would be so very welcomed.

Answer:

Bleeding during or after sex can happen due to an infection, a tear, an abnormal growth, or other inflammation of the vagina or cervix.  It sounds like you have had a thorough examination to rule out these problems.  Sometimes the vaginal or cervical tissues get thinned out and sensitive (bleeds more easily) because of the action of the progesterone hormone in the pill.  When that happens, the addition of more estrogen (either as a pill with more estrogen than progesterone, or as a cream applied to the vagina) can help "toughen up" the vaginal tissue and prevent bleeding.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology