Gynecology

Missing period for 7 months

08/19/2008

Question:

Hello. I have a menstrual problem. I started seeing my period from when I was 11 years old. I am 18 now. In the first year I saw it every month. The second year it came like three times per year and it`s been going on like that ever since, until this year I have been seeing it every 2-3 months. I went to the docor and she told me to do an ultrasound to check for cysts. I haven`t done it yet. I have been having unprotected sex with my husband and I can`t get pregnant. Please help me.

Answer:

Regular periods are a sign that you are producing and releasing eggs every month, a process doctors call “ovulation.” If your periods are every 2-3 months, it is likely that you are not ovulating very regularly. Ovulation problems are one of the most common causes of infertility.

You should return to your doctor and tell him or her that you are trying unsuccessfully to become pregnant. Your doctor will evaluate and treat you for infertility or refer you to someone who specializes in this area. One of the most common treatments for ovulation problems are fertility pills.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology