Diabetes

Experiencing hyperclycemic symptoms right now

08/01/2008

Question:

I am experiencing anxiety, jitteryness, lightheadedness,hot and cold feelings, weakness in legs, fullness feeling in my head; because of this, I took my blood sugar and it`s high @ 185. Is this typical of 185? Am I in a serious condition right now? What do I do now?

Answer:

That level of blood sugar is not uncommon in many people with diabetes and actually many who do not have diabetes.  I would be very surprised if the symptoms described would be explained by that level of blood sugar in most people.  Those symptoms can be due to a medical problem but they can also be brought on by anxiety and stress.  I would first try to relax and take a few deep breaths, think calming thoughts and see if they go away - if they don't, then I would look for another reason for those symptoms.  I can't tell from your message whether you have diabetes and whether you commonly measure your blood sugar.  If you don't know the answers to these questions, then you probably should seek medical attention to determine what they mean in your circumstances.  I can't answer your question "Am I in serious condition?" from the information that you have provided.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine