Gynecology

Irregular menstruation / spotting

08/25/2008

Question:

i am 29 years old married.i am having irregular periods after feb 08.I am having it once in more than 2 months.I visited my doctor & got all the blood tests & paps done.every thing came out normal.my doctor prescribed "yaz" if i want my periods to be every month otherwise it is ok which i did not take.after my tests on 26 june i had my periods on june 29 it was a light flow but lasted for more than a week whereas i used to have it for 4-5 days only.after that till now i have had heavy spotting 3 times.whic appears as periods innitially but there is no bleeding later on.it is bright red at times & sometimes it is brown in color.i have not had my periods till today after june 29.I am not under any medication.what could be the reason?

Answer:

Irregular menstrual cycles occur for a variety of reasons. Your physician has evaluated you for disorders that might result in anovulation (failure to ovulate regularly), which causes irregular menses. You should follow up with your physician if you have unanswered questions about his or her evaluation.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology